Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Comfort Books

Just like there are comfort foods, I think there are comfort books. So during stressful times, I head to the library. My husband likes W.E.B. Griffin and Tom Clancy. He calls them 'soap operas for men.' I like Barbara Metzger and Sharon McCrumb. Just like macaroni and cheese they are smooth, predictable, and slide down easily.

I just read Barbara Metzger's Primrose Path. How can you not a love a book where the secondary characters are all dogs with names like Puddles, Windy, Spooky, and Sunshine? The book was so good that I was able to sit happily in a surgeon's crowded waiting and ignore the endless loop of CNN news blurbs plus the sign that read "The Dr. is running ninety minutes late."

We are preparing for a series of surgeries for my husband and long waits in surgery centers for me. But we've got the right books that will keep us entertained and distracted from stress. I won't be posting regularly for awhile but will pop in when I can and I wish you all the best.

3 comments:

Tory Richards said...

Just like macaroni and cheese they are smooth, predictable, and slide down easily...great description.

My thoughts are with you sweetie, keep us informed.

Kathleen said...

Thanks, Debbie. I will.

Sarita Leone said...

Sending hugs your way, Kathy. Hoping good health soon returns to your world.

Great post. I wonder if you know that the Larks are some of my comfort writers. :) Really, you ladies have each helped me navigate the trials of these last weeks. I can't thank you all enough.