Friday, June 6, 2008

Whirlwind

Ooh, June's only a few days old and already it's busy, busy, busy! I feel like the White Rabbit sometimes, juggling so many things, wondering what I've forgotten and thinking of what I've yet to do. All while I'm still trying to be mindful of the fact that I'm slowing down. Really. Uh huh. Slowing. Down.

Can't you tell?

It's funny because I imagine you're sitting there shaking your head. You're thinking, "Sure, she's slowing down. In a pig's eye, she's slowing down. She'll slow down when I slow down. Uh huh. That's right...when I slow down."

You didn't think I knew you that well, did you?

It's a plain fact of living today that we're all overloaded. We try and squash as much as we can into every day of our lives. I can't help but wonder what drives us to do it. Is it because we're afraid we'll miss out on something if we're not moving at warp speed? That life will end and we'll not have done all we thought we wanted to do, all we dreamed of doing?

Who knows, really. My thoughts, tucked in between the whirlwind that is my morning, are of learning still another skill. One that our grandparents, and great-grandparents, knew. What is it? The art of slowing down. Taking it easy. Stopping to smell the roses. I'm not very good at it, but I'm going to try and work on acquiring that skill. I know, I've said it before and I haven't been able to manage it but I'm going to keep trying. Try, try again...right? I'll figure out the art of slowing down, one way or another. I'll keep at it until I get it right. I'll do it, I know I will.

Tomorrow. I'll work on slowing down tomorrow. Today? I've got edits to do, title sheets to fill out, eggplants to get in the ground, flowers to mist in the greenhouse and recipes to try. So tomorrow? Going to work on that whole slowing down gig. Today? Not so much.

By the way, if you haven't checked my blog page called From the Kitchen recently, I think you may be pleasantly surprised--especially if you like to cook! I'm having a summertime recipe blowout of sorts, posting a favorite summer recipe each day. There are some old family favorites to be shared, as well as some new ones we're experimenting with. I hope you'll try a few in your own kitchen. After all, it's warm weather time, a time when the living is slow and easy...right? ;-)

Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You make me laugh!! *G*

I have been following along with your recipes. There are some nice ones there, thanks.

Have a nice weekend.

Tory Richards said...

Oh Sarita you said the S word! Slow down? You need your mouth washed out with soap:)

Okay, I had to laugh when I came across your recipe for strawberry soup! Strawberry soup? I couldn't imagine it. Then I read the recipe. Sounds refreshing!

margaret blake said...

Iknow where you are coming from, I am in the eye of the storm myself.

Margaret.