Thursday, June 19, 2008

Different Hat

At the moment I am up to my ears in exam papers. I mark these every year and quite enjoy it.
There's a lot to be said for doing something different. One of the advantages is that it keeps me up to date with the language kids are using these days. I am always more aware of youthful trends after doing this task.

I often think about the kids too. Hot days in an overly warm exam room, seeing the paper for the first time and wondering what the heck...I don't remember ever learning that. Of course once they settle down they do remember, but I've been there as have most of you. I can still remember the panic.

The thing that gets me down is when the results come out. You get all these "smart" people saying the exams are too easy, they have been dumbed down. How soul destroying for the kids when they get their results to have this baying crowd of miseries in the background.

I think the exams are a lot different from those I did, but hey so was life. These exams reflect the now and not the past so who is to say whether they are not as testing as the ones we did.
I certainly know that they are more interesting!

Ah well back to the grindstone - nice talking to you.

Margaret.

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Great way to keep current, Margaret! I still remember the panic of the test.

Sarita Leone said...

I think it would be wonderful to hear what the kids were saying. Sort of an insider's view! :)