Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Satisfying Sequels

It's so exciting to read a great book and then discover there are more in the series. I just finished The Monk Downstairs and found out there is a Monk Upstairs which I am enjoying immensely.

What I especially like about these Tim Harrington books is that the characters grow and change their life circumstances. They battle their demons and end up a whole lot happier. With most series that doesn't happen. I know Janet Evanovitch's Stephanie Plum will probably never marry Joe or Ranger or cure her addiction to doughnuts. I don't see Lee Child's Jack Reacher settling down either. I read these books because I'm fond of these characters. It's kind of like getting together with an old friend. But sometimes I wish they could have a little more out of life -- A spouse, a home, children, and pets. Though it is kind of hard to picture Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch walking the dog and pushing the stroller. He would probably trying to read the murder book at the same time.

2 comments:

Sarita Leone said...

Kathy I am a nut on sequels! I love them! As long as the first book is a good one I'll want to go back and see what my "friends" are up to in a following book. It is like visiting with people you know!

Hope you're doing well,
Sarita

Kathleen said...

We are doing okay, thanks!