Thursday, May 20, 2010

Facts and Fiction




I went to see the movie Robin Hood on Monday - I loved it, every second - mind you I confess that this lady has a thing for grumpy Mr Crow, a guy who does not suffer fools gladly!

What amuses me is when people say, but it's not historically accurate HELLO, Robin Hood is a legend, not a real person. Actually some of the things in the film are very accurate, medieval life is very well drawn. King John was a very mecurial figure and when he was younger, he was far better than Richard the Lionheart, who bled the country dry for this Crusades and did not even speak English. John did like to think of himself as English and did speak English. He certainly was not a pussycat, but then again in those days, what King was?

Russell, magnificent in the role, anyway does really give value for money, as does the film. I wanted to not to end, can't give it a greater compliment than that. It certainly is a thousand times better than Prince of Thieves. No surprise there then?

However, it had me thinking does it matter if an historical film is not entirely accurate? Elizabeth was a wonderful film but it too must have taken liberties. Films need to entertain as do novels. Yes, certainly if you are writing about "real" people you must do your research well, but fictional characters? So long as they have the attitudes of their age, then you can be more, shall I say, creative?

In Dangerous Enchantment, I have taken a real character and used him as the theme of the story. No one really knew what happened to Prince Richard, did Richard the Third have him killed? Did Henry the Seventh? We can't know for sure...but suppose he lived, what would he do? Yes I took liberties but Dangerous Enchantment is a work of fiction. However, one thing I am particular about is getting the lifestyle and the settings right...which brings me back to Robin Hood. Settings? Excellent, all that mud and muck? Oh yes. Rushes on the floor? Spot on...rats...ugh, unfortunately yes!

Go see, you might like it! (Bet you do!).

Oh...nice realistic love story too!

7 comments:

Paula Martin said...

Agree that the medieval setting was extremely well done, including all the mud and the muck - although perhaps not the French using D-Day landing craft!
As a historian, though, I do cringe at the liberties taken with historical facts at times. I'm fine when it's a 'what if? scenario as in your Dangerous Enchantment, Margaret, since no-one knows for certain what happened to the Princes in the Tower. But I can well imagine the kids who used to be in my classes (and maybe some adults too!) coming away from this movie thinking that the Magna Carta really was written by Robin Hood's father!

margaret blake said...

I loved the idea that it came from a "simple" man, I know it was the Baron's but the idea did appeal to me. Of course the Magna Carta happened many years after these events as well, but what the heck - it's movie about a legend!

Kathleen said...

Will put this movie on my 'must see' list and Dangerous Enchantment would make a good movie too. Don't you think?

margaret blake said...

Hi Kathy, Yes, perhaps you would pass the word on to some smart producer,LOL then I could get my condiminium in Florida.

jrlindermuth said...

Can't wait to see the movie.
And, since history is written by the winners, much of it is fiction.
Here's hoping you get your condo soon.

Paula Martin said...

Who would you want to play Efan and Kate in DE then, Margaret?

margaret blake said...

Russell Crow if he could do a Welsh accent and probably me for Kate, LOL!!!!