Friday, January 18, 2008

Inspiration in unlikely places

Recently I was asked where I find inspiration for my stories. The answer was an easy one. Everywhere. I find inspiration everywhere. I think that as long as we keep our eyes, ears and even our noses open, we can become inspired.

A silly infomercial caught my husband's attention a few nights ago. He had risen in the middle of the night to add firewood to the woodstove. While he was in the family room he clicked on the television, hoping to see the weather channel and the upcoming snowfall forecast. Instead, he got a gander at an infomercial for a ... well, let's just say it was a product of an exceedingly personal nature. He was shocked, but amused, and told me about it over breakfast the next morning. As I listened, a seed of inspiration took hold within me.

Now I have a synopsis and chapter-by-chapter outline for a new book. All from one silly infomercial. Yes, I'm easily inspired!

Yesterday I spent an hour searching for a pair of earrings I wore as a teenager. I have to find them. You see, last week I saw an old photo. The small gold peace symbols shone on my earlobes in the photo and now I've got a wisp of an idea. I'm fairly positive that by this afternoon I'll have the whole story. I can't find the earrings, but the photo was enough inspiration to begin my frantic search and make my fingers itch to write the story. See? Inspiration right at hand, without any real effort.

So what inspires you? Do you take a more steady, thoughtful approach than I do? Or are you a seat-of-the-pants, easily inspired person? Both types of personalities have their own quirks, and that intrigues me. You might even say it inspires me!

Now, if I could only find those earrings I know I'd have the whole story...

Have a great weekend!

8 comments:

Kathleen said...

What great ideas you are getting. Sometimes for me inspiration comes easily and then again it doesn't come at all. Think it's a great blessing that creative ideas are raining down upon you. Enjoy them!

Marianne Arkins said...

I have this little hammer... you can twist the handle off and get a screwdriver, and then another and another -- the last one is the size you'd fix your glasses with.

It's the inspiration for my next novel. Yes. Really.

So, I'm right there with you!

Anonymous said...

I wish I could be as easily inspired. I can't even write an email without thinking about it. LOL.

Anonymous said...

I can sit daydreaming for hours and get absolutely nothing! OR if I do get something I might write two paragraphs then...BOOM...BLOCKED!! My desktop is full of unfinished business.

Aussie Jude

Anonymous said...

I wish it could be that easy for me. *Sigh*

Tory Richards said...

I have to say that I'm easily inspired too. My problem is keeping it going. Usually right in the middle of a story I hit a wall. That's probably why I have so many novels in various stages of completion! LOL

margaret blake said...

I am with Debbie here. I am easily inspired but it is the staying power that now and again becomes difficult.

I smiled, Sarita, at how you were inspired. It out me in mind of the original writer of CSI Las Vegas, he was saying that he was watching a programme about foresnsic science and thought "I wonder if..." and there you go, the guy, not quite on his uppers but not doing good, suddenly found himself earning a mint of money. So there you go, Sarita "It could be you!"

Margaret Blake

Sarita Leone said...

Oh Margaret, from your mouth to God's ears! :)