Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Out On a Date

One of my favorite books is Julia Cameron's The Artist's Way. Called chiropractic for the artist's soul, it offers tools to banish all the obstacles that keep you from creating. One of the most beneficial for me is the artist's date. According to Julia, you need to go out and do something fun and you need to do it alone.

"There are as many ways to evade this commitment as there are days of your life," she says. Still it is important because "your artist needs to be taken out, pampered and listened to."

It doesn't require money just soltitude and fun. Some of the things she suggests: a long country walk, a trip to the beach to watch the sunset, a visit to a church with a choir. Some of my favorites are morning jaunts to thrift stores, gift stores, coffee shops and museums. Soaking it all in primes my pump and I'm back to writing again.

Lets face it, this is a dangerous time a year for writers. The holiday demands can snuff your own projects out like a candle in a fierce wind. Don't let it happen. Plan your escapes and quiet time. It only requires two hours a week and your worth it.

2 comments:

margaret blake said...

How true, this time of year sucks you into doing all kinds of things you don't want to do. Monday I was in hell because I could not get near my computer. I am afraid I was very much lacking Christmas spirit and was as crotchety as Scrooge.

Margaret.

Sarita Leone said...

The Artist's Way is a great book. Thanks for reminding me of that! I've got it around here somewhere and it's been a while since I've read it.

A date with myself...hmm...I like this. Maybe a walk in the forest this week will jump start my muse. Thanks Kathy! :)