Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Angels

Angel is used in Hebrew to denote either a divine or human messenger.
For Christians angels are represented throughout the Bible as a body of spiritual beings intermediate between God and men: "You have made him (man) a little less than the angels" (Psalm 8:6).

I think about angels a lot this time of year. My wardrobe includes angel pajamas for when I'm sick. I have an angel key ring that keeps the rejections away. And three days after my mother's passing I won an angel bear. Might have been a coincidence but I didn't think so.

So this year I'm decorating with angels -- at the top of the tree, on the mantel and the nightstand. I think there are celestial beings guarding us but there are human angels too and I'm surronded by them. A neighbor just brought my garbage containers back up to the house after the truck came through and another went grocery shopping for me.

So on the second night of Chanukah I'm thinking about the Hebrew definition of angels -- a divine or human messenger.

4 comments:

Tory Richards said...

Great blog, Kathy!

During the last months of my Mom's life she was always seeing angels. She would be talking, staring up at the ceiling, and when we asked her who she was talking to she would say angels.

I like to believe they helped her to the other side and are there with her now. She was very afraid of dying and being alone.

Kathleen said...

Debbie, what a comfort for your mom to be surronded by angels!

margaret blake said...

I do like to think that there is an angel sitting on my shoulder.

I loved the angel in the film "A wonderful Life"

Lovely post , Kathy, just right for this time of year too.

Luv

Margaret.

Sarita Leone said...

What a wonderful post! I think angels show up sometimes in the most unlikely places, with the most unusual faces. At least I like to think they do. :)