Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day


Labor Day, the first Monday in September, is a creation of the labor movement and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country.

If there's one holiday we should have off...with pay...it's Labor Day. Don't you agree? I'm old enough to remember the days when most businesses were closed on the weekends. And they ran from 8:00-5:00 closing for an hour lunch. I remember business closing on major holidays...all day.

Weekends were for families. A time when the worker could unwind, chill, rest up for the week. I remember eagerly looking forward to every holiday because I knew I'd be out of school or off from work. Nowadays you get to leave early on a holiday. Not too many businesses close down completely. And I think that's sad. Less time at home, less family life. Maybe if we went back to the good ole days there'd be less crime in the world today. More good people.

I asked to have today off, as did a few others in my area. The office isn't closed. And I feel for my one co-worker who will hold down the fort. I think we should take a page from the banks and post offices. When they're closed, everyone should be closed.

There are some holidays that should be observed the way they were meant to be.

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Absolutely! People need time to rest, relax and enjoy family. I hate to see us lose our holidays.

Tory Richards said...

Seems we lose our holidays because they become commercialized.