Monday, September 14, 2009

Coincidence?

I'm beginning to think my daughter and I have a strong, if not strange, connection. As my only child we've always been close, nothing strange about that. Aren't most mothers and daughters? But our bond seems to go beyond wanting to spend time together, talking on the phone a few times a week, and thinking a like.

Sometimes we have similar dreams, about family members. But the strangest? We often times have the same symptoms. And by that I mean we'll have headaches at the same time, flu like symptoms, things like that. I didn't even think about it until a co-worker commented that she noticed it.

One morning last week I woke up head achy, a little sick to my stomach. Just plain didn't feel good. But I forced myself to go to work because I'm rarely sick and when I do get something it doesn't last. I figured as the day went on I'd feel better.

Later that same morning my daughter called. As we were talking she asked me what was wrong and I told her I didn't feel all that great. She said, yeah, I've been kind of nauseous and have a head ache, too. Alivia has the flu. And I thought, okay, that explains it. I'm getting the flu because I'd spent a couple days with them and on one of those days Alivia had the runs.

As the day went on I felt worse so my co-workers made me go home. On the way I stopped at my doctors and they took a test, which came back negative. I didn't have the flu. So I went home, took a couple Tylenol and fell into bed. A few hours later I woke, feeling good. Not great, just good.

The next day I went into work everyone was surprised to see me, considering how I looked the day before. One said, I was as white as a sheet. I can't believe you're here. That same co-worker said later, out of the blue, "Do you remember when Michelle was pregnant and you had morning sickness symptoms the same times she did?"I said yeah. How could I forget? Didn't realize it at the time but later when Michelle and I would talk we'd discover we'd both felt sick around the same times.

My co-worker then said, "wasn't she feeling sick yesterday, too?"I just looked at Mel, and then it hit me, what she was leading up to. She was right! I never thought much about it before. Sometimes I can be dense. But realizing that somehow made me feel good. What a cool bond we have! If...that's what it is.

Or is it just a strange coincidence?

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Debbie, I'd say that's a loving connection and no coincidence at all. Glad everybody is feeling better.

Tory Richards said...

Thanks Kathleen. That's how I look at it, too:)