Friday, March 27, 2009

March Showers?

Around here spring is all about getting outside, clearing away limbs and leaves and uncovering the flowers growing in the spring gardens. It's a time when we cheer at the Robins' return, chase flocks of turkeys toward the meadows where any mess they leave behind won't find its way to our shoes and peer into the forest with hopes of seeing mother fox.

Too, we hope for showers after sundown. Not snow showers, heaven forbid! But rain...here we hope for rain. Why? I want the grass to turn green. I want the brown, dismal days of early spring to give way to lush, green growing moments. I look forward to the road outside our house being washed clean, the winter sand sloughed clear from the road's edge.

Yes, I hope for rain. My father always told me "rain brings happiness" and, you know, I think he's right. I know I smile when I roll over in the night, and hear raindrops falling on our roof.

What about you? Have you and springtime wishes? Me...I'm hoping the March showers roll right on over into April showers because you know what that means, don't you?

Happy Friday!

3 comments:

margaret blake said...

I am looking forward to warmer weather and soft winds. Today the wind has been ferocious and as I walked the shore I got sand blasted.

I love your description of life in New York State, it sounds so idyllic.

Tory Richards said...

Robins are my favorite birds because they make me think of home. I used to see them in the winter time but haven't in the last couple of years.

My Easter lillies are in full bloom and look so pretty in the front of the house. If only they lasted a little longer.

Kathleen said...

I love the sound of rain at night.