Monday, April 7, 2008

Traveling


My daughter and I are planning a cruise for November, the first one in two years, and it got me to thinking about all the wonderful places we've been fortunate to visit so far. We found out a few years ago that cruising is the only way to go. We love it.

My daughter, niece and I were traveling buddies and we started out by taking a ten day cruise to Alaska. I say were, because they now have significant others in their lives. But that's okay, I love their significant others and since they make the girls happy, I'm happy. Anyway, as I was saying, we took a cruise to Alaska.

We crammed as much as we could into the land excursions which included dog sledding, a helicopter ride to a glacier, a go-cart ride into the wilderness and a train ride through the mountains. Coming from Florida we were prepared for the cold, and looked like Eskimos the day we flew to the glacier. That, however, turned out to be the only real cold day we had. Would you believe they were having unusually warm weather for that time of year?

Our adventure the next year took us on a two week cruise to Europe. We flew to Spain and boarded the cruise ship there. Our sights included Croatia, Italy, Greece, France and Rome. Some of my personal favorites were Santorini Island in Greece, where all the houses were stark white with brilliant blue roofs. I also loved Croatia. Wasn't too impressed with Athens, but the ruins were spectacular.

We did a wine tasting on Santorini Island. Took a gondola ride in Venice, the water taxis amused us there. Visited sites like the leaning tower of Pisa, Gothic churches in Spain, the Vatican, where my hubby's grandson is a Catholic priest. We went to the castle in Monaco and walked the nude beaches in France. Of course, we kept our clothes on! There were gypsies everywhere, dressed in old world garb that quickly identified them for who they were.

I literally walked a hole in a pair of new sneakers, purchased just for the trip. Everywhere we went were cobbled streets and stairs.

It was all very interesting, but I enjoyed Alaska more. Europe was for the girls. Our next planned cruise was to Ireland, only we didn't make it. My daughter found out she was pregnant and Alivia was due around the time we would have gone. Since then a lot of things have changed, all good. Our little family has grown.

I'm looking forward to our cruise in November. We're planning a week in the Carribbean. I don't even care if we get off the ship! LOL

6 comments:

Sarita Leone said...

Debbie, I love this post! I feel like I've done a bit of armchair traveling, thanks so much. What stunning photos. I'm so thrilled you shared them with us. :)

Tory Richards said...

If I'd had a digital camera when we went to Alaska I would have shared some of those pictures, too. Glad you enjoyed the post.

margaret blake said...

What a lovely post, Debbie, I really enjoyed looking at the pictures of Italy. I love Italy and even though, compared with you, I live close to the country, I never get to go as often I would like. On a cold, rainy day it was wonderful to gaze on these gorgeous views.

Margaret.

Tory Richards said...

Thanks Margaret, glad you enjoyed them.

Kathleen said...

Loved the photos and that I got to be an armchair traveler.

Tory Richards said...

Armchair traveler...That's twice I've heard that expression lately. I like it!