Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving

I just had to write something about this most special of feasts. Forgive me if I am wrong, but I believe the origin of Thanksgiving goes back to the time when the early Colonialists were saved by the Native Americans. That the settlers had been on the point of dying of starvation and the Native Americans came and brought food, and this saved their lives. How different, I wonder, would things have been had this not happened. Frightening to think. And what wonderful human beings those Native Americans were.

We don't give Thanksgiving for anything over here, which is such a shame. There is something so special about our Thanksgiving. Families come together and share food and company, what could be nicer than that? Of course it happens at Christmas too, butcommercialization has ruined that ( see my last blog!). Thanksgiving is just food that you share. No one else gets in on the act persuading you to buy this and that, probably bankrupting yourselves to do so.

I remember my first US Thanksgiving. I was on my own and pretty lonely and very, very down. A family invited me to share with them. It was one of the happiest days I ever spent. The food was magnificent and I tasted my first pumpkin pie. (Hey ladies, I have a thing for pumpkin pie!)

I shall never forget the kindness of that hospitable gesture. Like the Settlers, I was a stranger in a foreign land but it did not stop them opening their doors to me. The true spirit of Thanksgiving.

The rest of my time I worked Thanksgiving. I was a waitress at the time, and I did not mind. It was great really because those diners really wanted you to be part of their joyous get together. Everyone was in a good and happy mood, it was such fun. I liked working as a waitress in the States, you were always treated as an essential part of the celebration. You were never looked down on as you are here!

So friends, do have a wonderful day. Think of me, dreaming of pumpkin pie...ta, ta for now.

Margaret.

3 comments:

Sarita Leone said...

I love it that someone pulled you into their home and holiday that first year! I would have been so disappointed to learn no one had welcomed you properly.

I'm not big on pumpkin pie but we will be making an apple pie as well as a chocolate layer cake. You're all welcome to seats at our table if either sounds good. Can you all make it here by dessert? :)

Happy Thanksgiving, ladies!

Kathleen said...

Lovely blog, Margaret! Wish you were here. We Larks could have a progressive dinner. I definitely want some of that chocolate cake and Debbie's fruit salad

Tory Richards said...

That's what Thanksgiving is all about. Great story:)